Mittwoch, 11. Januar 2012

Amy Butler Take Flight Handbag pattern review English

Deutsche Version hier

I got the book "Style Stitches" from Amy Butler for Chrismtas. I chose the Take Flight bag because I just love the look of it.

Amy Butler Take Flight Handbag/Shoulderbag

Cutting:
All  patterns are on big paper sheets inside the book. I did not want to cut these so I copied them onto copy paper. Cutting and fusing needed about 3-4h. Amy Butler wants you to cut the interfacing with the templates and then remove 1/2" for seam allowance. I think this is material and time waste. After cutting out all fabric pieces I removed the 1/2" from my template and cut out the interfacing with these smaller templates (I wouldn't do this on the original templates in the book). Fabric requirements are very generous. I nearly could sew another bag with my left overs.

Materials: 
I used a mid-weight jeans for exterior. For lining I used patchwork fabric with light iron on interfacing. For the handles I added belt strap. Without that I think the handles are to flabby.


Sewing:
Just stick to the pattern! I did not have trouble although there are few drawings.


Tips:
- the bias strips for the petals do not need to go fully around the petal because they overlap alot. Saves time and fabric.
- the bias strips do not need to be sewn together. I cut strips from a half yard cut which was long enough for the largest petal. So you avoid seams and you save time.
- Use bottom nails (I don't know the English word). This gives a nice finished look and you bottom does not get dirty

- I added piping because I like the look. It makes sewing the body more difficult but I think it is worth it :)

Résumé: A great bag and a proper pattern. But not for absolutely sewing beginners.

Kommentare:

Ruth hat gesagt…

I love that pattern and I love your fabric choices!

ozsuzsanna hat gesagt…

Great work, the pipping is a good choice! I'm starting to sew this bag today, I hope will be ok.